Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pole Class: Day Nine

Lately I have not been good with keeping up with my pole class posts. Where does all my time go? I feel like I never have time go do anything now. Ok well that's enough whining for now...

Last night Christina Kish taught Poletential's Tuesday Flirty Tricks class and I for some reason I was really nervous since I was comfortable with Cat teaching the class. Christina and Cat actually take turns instructing the class, but Christina was away for 2 weeks. Another reason why I was nervous was because another dancer warned me that Christina always made her students sweat in class. Turns out that there was nothing to be worried about at all! I had such a blast last night. Christina has an incredible amount of energy and enthusiasm for pole dancing, and especially a great sense of humor about it too. I love to laugh and I couldn't help giggling all night at the things that she would say.

If you're considering taking a pole class, this class is great for all dancers regardless of your skill level. If you're advanced, they will give you more complex tricks. If you're a beginner, they'll work with you one-on-one. And you should always know how to transition in and out of your moves! My favorite one that Christina taught last night was called "drama." It might not exactly be it's technical name, but that's the name Christina gave it!!

Drama is the transitional move you do before you go into a forward twirl with your inside knee hooked around the pole (it gives you momentum!). If you're going to hook your right knee around the pole, you grab the pole with your right hand and gracefully lift up your inside knee while simultaneously reaching out your left arm. Then with your right (inside) knee up you swing it around the pole and use your left (outside) arm to bracket the pole as you spin.

The Fire Kick (could be a different name?) is another transitional move we learned. This is for when you land squatted after a twirl. Holding onto the pole with both hands (outside arm above), you pull yourself off the ground while holding your knees together to spin around the pole. Christina also taught a variation where you swing your outside leg out for momentum.

Alternatively, if you land on your knees from doing a backward hook Christina taught us this move where you lean all the way back and then gracefully come back up pelvis first.

We did so many moves I can't really remember them all. I do remember her mentioning something called a boomerang. For this move, you use one hand to grip the pole as high as you can and use your other hand (thumb pointed down) to grip the bottom. Using your core muscles you lift yourself out with your legs in a semi-split pose. You can walk into this pose, but no spinning! Squeeze those gluts and abs people!!



Another one we did was the plank...I kept slipping so I never got to free one hand without feeling like I would fall. We did the move differently from this picture. We actually had one hand (thumb pointed upwards) on the bottom instead of gripping the pole on top.



The one move that Christina wanted us to take away with us was the snake move. This helps you get out of your inversion. From the inversion you go into a hand stand and use your inside arm to twist yourself out...kind of difficult to explain.

No comments:

Post a Comment