Thursday, April 22, 2010

Because I want to be a cage fighter...

On Tuesday I went to my first Brazilian Jiu Jitsu class at the Ralph Gracie Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy. When I used to live in Berkeley and run down to the Marina, I would always pass by the academy and stare longingly at the studio. Ever since I learned that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu was the best form of martial arts to use in UFC, I wanted to learn it.

I have an obsession with being the best and having the best (which explains my insanely expensive pole). That's why I chose the Ralph Gracie Academy. The last name Gracie is associated with the originators of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, thus the best. I want to learn from the Masters.

I went alone and it was a great experience. Luckily there were only a few guys in the beginner's class...and NO they were not beginners! That's a misnomer for anyone interested in taking a beginner's class at this Academy. But I'm not trying to discourage you! Anyways I was already expecting to be surrounded by very huge and very serious men. There's no messing around in this Academy.

Being a small, scrawny, albeit ditzy girl, I did my best to gain the respect of the other students in the class. The only way to do that was just to follow everyone else' lead and blend in without complaining. Being an athletic person with a background in cardio was a plus!

Once the conditioning ended, Eduardo decided to pair me off with another coach to work with him for the rest of the class. YES! I didn't have to spar once with those huge dudes, which turned out to be pretty nice guys. Newton, my personal coach, taught me everything from Pull Guard, Close Guard and Side Guard. I choked him out so many times.

As a warning for all of you ladies, do not come in with fake nails or new piercings! Rash guards are highly recommended!

If I didn't have to sign a 3-month minimum contract and buy an outrageously expensive gi I would go back and train. But I have to start thinking like a poor person because I have to pay my school enormous amounts of money!!!!!!!! Oh well. Just wanted to make a side note that the guys in the next class, were oh so yummy looking. Perfect images of what men should look like :) Gimme Gimme!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment