Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pole Class: Day Fourteen

I'm just going to come out and say it. I SUCK at twirls. They are my ultimate weakness...that and donuts, chocolate cake, strawberry milkshakes, scones and an ice cold glass of whole milk. Since we're on the topic of what I'm really bad at I might as well mention that yesterday I tore skin off the bottom of my right hand because my grip was too hard and I was starting to hold my hand higher. It just got worse today! Boooo! Plus I think my right foot is swollen and it looks ugly...

Ok soooo tonight's class was Flirty Tricks taught by Christina. I really enjoy going to this class because we often go over tricks I've first learned in Total Pole that I need to go over. BUT TONIGHT WAS SPECIAL!!! Christina actually taught some twirls that look really good that I've never tried before. Brand new material to learn!!?!?! Yess!!

One of the twirls that Christina taught us tonight was a Toe Twirl. It's really cute because you can lightly drag your toes along the floor as you spin around the pole. To do this move you simply step with your inside foot, swing your outside leg around and then lift both legs backwards (make sure your legs are straight!). You hold onto the pole with your strong hand and bracket with your other hand to make a triangle. We added on another twirl to the Toe Twirl that I didn't really care for...especially since I kept doing it wrong. Haha.

Next we learned the Switch Twirl, which Christina explained to us was a 1/2 Fireman and a 1/2 Fireman?? We learned the Fireman Twirl first. The Fireman Twirl looks like both your knees are bent and squishing against the pole while you are seated...so kind of like a fireman twirling down a pole. To do the Switch Twirl you step with your inside foot, swing out your outside leg while you bracket with your other hand, your inside leg should bend at the knee first while your outside leg is kept straight. I can't really remember the next step clearly so I probably shouldn't write anything down...

After that we learned a Carousel Twirl. This is different from the first two because your bracket thumb will be facing downward. Again you step with your inside foot and swing your outside foot to give you momentum. Bring both your feet backward so that they touch and arch your back as you swing around the pole. Thank goodness that was the last twirl we learned! You can actually add on a Heartbeat onto the end of this twirl...



For the climbs we learned a Carousel Drop. From a climb, with both of your arms in L position you let go of your legs. You must have the pole up against your breast and belly for this move. You can slide down from this position, but as you slide down your arms must fall at the same time with you.

Another climb pose we learned was the Piping Seat. From a climb, You bring out both your legs to the front. You can twist them at the ankle or if you're feeling comfortable enough you can have them out straight just remember to squeeze squeeze squeeze!!! Then you bring you grab onto the back of your thighs/legs and bend forward. You can also bring your body to the front of the pole and grab your thighs as well.

Lastly for our inversion, Christina taught us the Caterpillar. This was the third time the Caterpillar was brought up in a drop-in class for me, and each time I thought it was the most painful move to learn. Until I can learn to squeeze harder with my knees instead with my feet, then I will always get massive foot bruises from this one. I'll get it down one day, just not tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment