Saturday, January 16, 2010

Pole Class: Day One

Like the other pole dancing studio I used to frequent, Poletential was also located in an inevitably shady and industrial area. I didn't know what to expect for my first class since I was actually dropping-in on the Saturday Total Pole class which is open to all levels.

After the usual 15-20 minute yoga-esque warm-up led by the graceful Amber (who's going to compete in USPDF!), the group split up into beginners and advanced students. Unfortunately, I went on an unusually busy Saturday morning and had to share a pole with another girl (which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). In total, there were 5 beginning students and two teachers, Christina and Cat, and 3 poles between us. Christina was the upbeat cheerleader and Cat reminded me of Morgan from The Mists of Avalon.

In this class I learned how to properly walk around the pole, lift myself up a pole, and the round-a-bout, bow-tie & bow-tie variation, pole slide, pole wave, and hand twirl twist moves. For a beginner, this class is pretty intimidating. If you don't have any prior experience, don't expect to do every move perfect the first time or even the 10th time. I have to say that I was disappointed in myself for not immediately catching on some moves and carrying the moves out gracefully like I imagined I would in my mind.

But no worries! I have 9 more classes to perfect them and learn more moves to add to my repertoire. I already know that I'm going to be in supreme pain tomorrow because I'm already feeling sore right now, especially my arms and shoulders!

BTW I do attend to eventually put up videos of myself doing pole moves as soon as I get my own pole!

No comments:

Post a Comment