Monday, May 3, 2010

Spinning Pole Class: Day One - Conserve Momentum

After two pole-free weeks, I was understandably nervous to attend my first of three spinning pole classes at Poletential. All I could think about on the hours leading up to the class was how sweaty my palms were and how I would probably go slipping right off the pole if Amber asked me to do anything resembling a twirl. I hate twirls! They are my worst enemy and I would go as far as canceling the 3-week clinic if I needed too. In the past I have quit before even trying, pathetic I know.

Fortunately, the spinning pole class was nothing I expected it to be. While I anticipated twirls, I learned that most of the techniques you use are holds and require little momentum. Secondly, the class wasn't extremely fast paced which I feared for some reason. My fears were put to rest early in the class and I was able to relax and enjoy it.

Half-way through the class I started to get extremely excited and had all these ideas and questions in my head that I just couldn't keep to myself. I started to think that these classes should be offered on a regular basis and I couldn't help asking Amber if she planned on instructing more in the future. Even though I am poor now, I felt hungry for more. And Amber mentioned that if there were any classes I took it should be just for spinning because of all the little unique tricks and techniques you can't learn on your own. I would actually recommend all intermediate and advanced pole dancers to try a spinning pole class if you have a stomach for it.

We began with a basic move that consisted of grabbing the pole with one arm at a 90 degree angle, taking one step forward and placing your other hand on the pole. Spinning pole requires a lot of arm, back and core strength to hold yourself into a position, so even this move was difficult for all of us. The goal of this move was to vertically align yourself with the pole and to distance your body away from the pole. This is harder than it looks. Most of us ended up being too close to the pole and sideways. It takes a lot of control and thought. Another variation was to spread your legs out into a V while facing the pole.

I think the next thing we moved on to was inverting. Only that none of us would be inverting on the first class. We were just learning the steps to getting into an invert. I LOVE AMBER! We were told to grab the pole with one arm (90 degree) and to grab the pole with the other hand while simultaneously swinging out your legs. It's important that you end up in a position where you are slanted up against the pole. Unlike the first move, momentum is important and necessary. After accomplishing this, we were told to bring in our knees. Done. The only issue I had with this was basically getting enough momentum. Amber said that most people either don't start off with enough or more than enough and fly off the pole. I'd rather be the former.

We also worked on climbing. To start us off Amber had us do a bow-tie twirl on the pole. After we were all comfortable removing one of our arms gracefully, she had us learn how to gain momentum. Once you're in the bow-toe position with your ankles crossed, you grip the pole with both of your knees and do a backward body wave up the pole so that you are very close to the pole. This makes you spin faster. To reduce the speed, you basically push your butt outward.

After practicing how to do this a couple of times we moved on to half-climbs using our knees still in the bow-tie position and our arms to pull us up. Amber emphasized that you don't ever want to pull yourself up into a full climb because you lose your momentum.

Once we climbed up the pole, the next step was to release our legs into a V and swing one leg into a chair position. My hands are getting sweaty just thinking about it. I basically chickened out every time I got too high. The pole would be spinning too fast for me and all I wanted it to do was stop or slow down!

Altogether I absolutely loved this class and it was a great class to get me back into pole. I've been feeling really horrible in terms of self-esteem and my love life, so I have been a hermit. Taking this class has really pumped me up again and I'm definitely looking forward to next Sunday's class! Thank heavens for Amber and Poletential!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun and a great way to stay in shape. How do the dancers keep from getting bruised or pole burns when they do this stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advanced pole dancers become so strong that they can control their movements (versus a beginner) and are able to prevent getting burned by the pole or bruises. I find that I get bruises a lot because (a) I just bruise easily and (b) I'm totally scared if I don't grip enough I will fall right off and (c) I have not mastered pole to the point where I know how to apply the right amount of pressure.

    It's comparable to a beginner hurdler in track. The beginner will overcompensate in the jump from the fear of knocking over the hurdle while the pro will glide over the hurdle really close (conserving energy and shaving seconds off time).

    It takes a significant amount of practice and trust.

    ReplyDelete