Friday, May 7, 2010

ZARA 2010 Spring Outerwear and Jackets


When I really want something, there's a strong chance I'll buy it if it's available in my size and easily accessible. If I can visualize myself with it, then I'll pretty much bend over backwards and make any type of justification to get my hands on it. So after watching the trend of boyfriend blazers gain popularity, I finally decided that it was my turn to get one too.

Since my petite size and short stature make it a pain in the ass to find properly fitting and complimenting clothes, I've given myself the freedom to buy items that cause sticker shock. But in relative terms, I would say that ZARA is reasonably priced for the styles and quality you get in return.

I already knew from the onset that I would not be able to find a black boyfriend blazer with interior lining at the low-end retailers like Forever 21. So I allowed myself to browse Guess, Bebe, Urban Outfitters, H&M, MNG, and ZARA. Reiss and Club Monaco are totally out of my range for an item like this. The only place that seemed to carry the jacket was ZARA and they had a lot of different variations to choose from in terms of design, quality, material and color.

While I was in the dressing room, I was conflicted between a more comfortable boyfriend blazer with minimal tailoring and details, and a more dramatic (shoulder pads) work/boyfriend blazer hybrid with a seersucker lining. While one was from Zara Basic and cost $79, the other was from the Zara Women collection and cost $20 more. I enjoyed how much the Zara Basic blazer fit so much that I would have walked out of there with it unless the two fitting room ladies didn't compliment me so much in the other jacket. Obviously the more expensive jacket is a definite attention seeker, but I just wanted something to drape over my always freezing body when I want to wear something slightly revealing. I also especially want to use it for school.

But since I'm such a sucker for wearing dramatically sexy yet sophisticated pieces, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. So while I could have been comfortable and sloppy, I decided to be prim and proper. But at least I can take pride in my sharp jacket!

Although I did not go into ZARA (Flag Ship Store on Post Street) with the intent of purchasing more than just the boyfriend blazer, I did. I could remember searching for a perfectly fitting warm-beige trench coat ever since I saw one there and let it slip through my fingers. Again it's really difficult to find jackets that fit my petite body. If I wanted something especially trim, I would have to spend a wad at J.Crew or Burberry. Fortunately, ZARA's trench coat prices are extremely reasonable...almost to the point of outrage if I was the company's merchandiser. Since the trench coat I selected was from the Basic collection, it actually turned out to be slightly cheaper than the blazer. Although it is no Burberry Prorsum, it has all the essential features.

So now I am the proud mommy of two work and school appropriate jackets I can wear down to the thread. They're both lightweight enough to wear during spring and summer. I definitely plan to utilize my blazer with work, school and evening outfits. And I'm already thinking about how sexy it will be to pair the trench coat (ends above the knee!) with hosiery and knee-high boots (heels will do too!).

Now I can do that lingerie photo shoot!

2 comments: