Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bravo Balmain Spring 2010


Diane von Furstenburg, 3.1 Phillip Lim, Balenciaga, Alexander McQueen, Lanvin...and BALMAIN

Fashion is vanity. Fashion is self-expression. Fashion is art. Fashion is materialistic. Fashion is ingrained in all of us to attract the other sex, whether we are aware of it or not.



I am a slave to fashion and I have no intention of breaking free of my chains any time soon. I'm aware that what drives me are basic factors such as sex, beauty and violence. Fashion falls under beauty, but you can also argue that it is sexy, sex-inspired, sexually enhancing and one of the most violent things we can do to the environment. Nonetheless, I perpetuate the system by continuously updating my wardrobe with the newest trends marketed to us every quarter.





Specifically, I have become fascinated with Balmain's latest collection created by French mastermind Christophe Decarnin. Balmain is a Parisian fashion house which definitely explains why I have been so enamored with it. No other country knows how to showcase a woman's features than the French.






Decarnin's Spring collection for Balmain draws from Military and Rock 'n' Roll themes. Decarnin artfully combined his signature use of padded-shoulders with military embellishments, metallic tunics, skinny cargo pants, and destroyed shirts in the most successful display of feminine masculinity. He definitely had the urban woman in mind. While aspects of his outfits hug the body like a herve leger, he introduces structure through the shoulder pads that doesn't venture into for-the-runway-only territory.





Since I was blessed with slender limbs (well at least my arms are) and a petite frame, I cannot resist his jackets and coats since they seem to hug the models' in all the right places. There is nothing more bothersome than wearing a coat or jacket and having so much extra fabric that you can basically fit another jacket right underneath the one you are already wearing.

Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment