Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Mother Ship: Agent Provocateur


I first heard of Agent Provocateur when reading a GQ article that was advising guys to buy gifts from a less obvious lingerie shop. At that time, I was totally absorbed in the wonderful world of Victoria's Secret and couldn't imagine a better lingerie retailer. Years ago I did my research and found their website when Maggie Gyllenhaal was modeling for their merchandise. My first two reactions were, it's expensive and it's not as aesthetically pleasing. I haven't returned to Agent Provocateur's website until recently, and I see major improvements.


For those of you unfamiliar with Agent Provocateur, it is a high-end, London-based, artisanal lingerie retailer. For most of us American blue collar and even white collar folks, sticker shock is unavoidable. Most people already view Victoria's Secret merchandise as pricey, but walk into Agent Provocateur and you'll find knickers ranging from $55-140 and bras for $130-220. I'm currently coveting the red Love Basque from their Classics collection that's $370, not including panties or hosiery (shown in cream below). These aren't intimates you buy from any lingerie retailer and wear on any occasion, but investments like those expensive optical frames, watch, purse or boots you got. Or maybe that's just me. Although I am a loyal Victoria's Secret customer, artisanal French hosiery and Leavers lace has a pleasant ring to it.


After watching Agent Provocateur commercials on youtube, my favorite one is "Love Me Tender, or Else..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYuG3jgytqY), I decided to make it a point to visit the only Bay Area store blocks away from San Francisco's Union Square. Even though a friend told me about her negative experience at AP I was still very excited about viewing the lingerie in person, intimidating sales people or not. In comparison to all the VS stores I've been too, AP is relatively smaller but the decor and lush dressing rooms made up for that. I was immediately assisted by a very friendly sales associate who was more than eager to help me find styles I liked in my size. This service was also transferred into the fitting room which she walked into to help me dress and undress into different bras. I tried to hold my surprised expression because perhaps these services are normal in AP stores or other high-end lingerie boutiques. It turned out that her help in the dressing room was amazing. After I got over the fact that she could see my nipples, she was able to finish the snatch in the back of the bras, provide recommendations on how to wear the bras, and her expert opinion on every style. Although I didn't buy anything, it was a great experience especially since I wasn't pressured to make a purchase.


If I haven't convinced you yet, than maybe I need to do a little name dropping. In addition to Maggie Gyllenhaal, other celebrities that have advertised for AP are Dita von Tease, Kylie Minogue and Kate Moss. If you're in downtown, stop by and take a look at their assortment of nipple tassels!

No comments:

Post a Comment