Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Grooming: The Brazilian Wax

Warning: This might contain too much information.

Two years ago I was a stingy college student who spent next to nothing on grooming expenses. So when I decided to go bare down there of course I decided to do the job myself. I went to the local drug store and bought a box of Sally Hansen's Lavender Spa Body Wax Hair Removal Kit for $10 (a lot cheaper than a professional Brazilian wax that averages around $60-70, not including tip!). Lets just say it wasn't successful. It took me forever and I didn't even have the guts to do everything. But I definitely built up my tolerance for pain! No joke. Now when I go in to get a Brazilian wax I don't break a sweat. To me it's comparable to going to the dentist.

At the time I was waxing myself in college, I didn't know anyone else who ever got a Brazilian wax. Although I had a boyfriend at that time, he could actually care less if I was waxed or not. The motivating factor was basically to groom myself. And I actually I love the look and feel a Brazilian wax creates. There's no tuft of hair that separates you from your panties or swimwear, lingerie looks sexier, and now you can wear those see-thru panties the right way.

If you're thinking about getting a Brazilian wax for the first time, I should inform you that the first time you see yourself bare you're going to have an averse reaction. You're used to seeing hair and now it's gone. But it's not like when you shave off all your hair like Brittney did and it still looks bad after some time. That look will never look good Brittney. You will get used to it, trust me. And then you'll love it and need to do it all the time.

So since I'm still cheap about grooming myself, I was thrilled when one of my girlfriends introduced me to Pampered Nail by Tammy in San Francisco. I've been there twice and both times were good experiences. She has excellent reviews on Yelp. I think she's still at 5-star status. Unlike most spas and hair removal shops, Tammy prices her Brazilian wax at $25-30. Yes that is an amazing deal. I've haven't found a better deal out there. She uses a combination of hard & soft wax and tweezes if necessary. (Soft wax is the type of wax that is applied on hot and is removed with a cloth. Hard wax is applied on hot and is left on until it cools so that it can be removed like a cloth strip.) If she thinks you need it, she'll even apply a numbing agent on you. If you're stingy like me, this might be the place for you.

The plus side of getting Brazilian waxes regularly is that eventually your hair will thin out and it will be less painful. Now it's not absolutely necessary for me to get a professional wax, since I can actually do touch-ups with my wax kit at home. But everyone is different. Just one note of advice...don't shave yourself if you've already got a wax. Why? Because it'll just make your hair thicker. If you have issues with razor burn and ingrown hairs, PFB Vanish is actually highly recommended and Tammy uses it.

I'm actually due for one...I'm just being cheap again.

No comments:

Post a Comment