Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Exercising is Fun Again: Pole-dancing

It's been a few months since I've last taken a class at Sedusa Studios (in Campbell), but I vividly remember my Intro to Sensual/Pole Dance experience. Luckily I was able to find a friend who was equally interested (if not more) in learning how to pole dance so that I didn't have to awkwardly stand in a room full of strangers for my first time.

Even though the class was only one hour, it totally changed my perspective about performing for an audience whether it is for one person or a room full of people. Carole Whitsett, the owner and instructor for the class, emphasized throughout the class that it is sexier to move painfully slow than to the beat of Brittney Spear's "Womanizer." There's nothing more visually captivating than a confident woman gently caressing herself as she moves slowly toward you. Ever since that class I've been hooked to songs with slow beats to them. My current faves are "Sour Times" by Portishead, "Starstruck" by Santogold, "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro and "New Resolution" by Azure Ray. I'll compile a more comprehensive list later full of songs for your varying strip-tease styles.

In addition to learning about attitude and posture, we took home with us one pole move and a short sensual dance routine. Even though my arms aren't meant for upper-body exercises, I didn't find the bow-tie move difficult to master. The more difficult task was walking slowly on my tip toes in platform heels without tipping over completely!

If you're just looking for a taste of what pole-dancing classes are like, I recommend you try out Sedusa Studios' intro class since they focus on one move and teach you a routine you can take home.

Highlights from the class:
1. Slow down.
2. Make every move graceful.
3. Don't be afraid to touch yourself.
4. Feed his fetish. Walk on your tip toes. Slowly.
5. Don't use mirrors to practice. You radiate sexy when you feel sexy.

I'm looking forward to using my own pair of platform heels I specially ordered from Forplay for taking pole dancing classes one day (shown above). I hear that Poletential (in Redwood City) offers some good courses that really tone up your muscles. Hopefully I'll find the time and money soon! Single or taken, every girl should give pole-dancing a try.

Reasons why every girl should give pole-dancing a try:
1. Instantly boosts your sexual confidence
2. Adds a secret weapon to your deadly arsenal
3. Tones your body & encourages you to stay physically fit
4. Gives you a good excuse to buy those platform heels you've been coveting

No comments:

Post a Comment