Wednesday, July 7, 2010

FIDM Job Fair: I Came and I Conquered

...well, more or less. Fourteen employers came to FIDM's job fair this year including Ann Taylor Loft, Guess, Gap, Levi Strauss & Co. and Tory Burch. Instead of walking aimlessly around from one table to another (or trying to collect all 14 which they challenged us to do), I decided to create a war plan. My mentality was to seek and destroy...or more like seek and conquer. I knew that I would only be applying to three companies at most including J. Crew, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's.

Bloomingdale's easily became my number one employer given my career goals and the designer brands I covet and shop. I was so glad that the representative was speaking to all the students one-on-one, this gave me my one chance to make a memorable appearance and impress her with my enthusiasm for the position and knowledge of the products. Well see what becomes of it!

Again some of the students brought shame upon the San Francisco campus. Where I come from you dress professionally and conservatively to a career fair, not as if you were going to enjoy a summer day outside in your sun dress or in your party clothes for the evening (I don't care if Forever 21 is there!). I was able to find a stand out outfit that consisted of a patterned dress, royal blue cropped long-sleeve jacket, paired with Betsy Johnson and gold chain-linked accessories. I know it's not always about looks, but to this kind of event it is. Imagine if we were in LA or NY?

Besides the opportunity to find employment, today's job fair was a good chance for me to get to know my peers better. Finally a place to talk about fashion 24/7. Now I won't be talking to myself any more!

2 comments:

  1. Kool, hope you score a nice gig. As for the way people dress on interviews, it just boggles my mind sometimes. I'm an artist, so at work a lot of guys in my field wear t shirts and jeans and such, but when I see them interviewing in that get up, I'm think WTF? At least wear a nice shirt or something. One guy even wore a baseball cap to an interview...what?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty critical about what people wear to what event. So I made sure I looked polished and hire-able. I don't want to jinx myself so I'm waiting until this Friday to post the news...

    ReplyDelete